Friday, September 11, 2009

Beading Materials and Techniques

My favorite materials to work with are: Swarovski crystals, seed beads, gemstones, pearls, antique copper findings, and cabochon gemstones.
I've become especially fascinated by all the different gemstones and rocks that are made naturally in the earths crust. (God is so creative!). Rockhounding (hunting for gems, and other natural minerals) is very intriguing to me. I've met some people on Etsy.com that rockhound for a living.Here is a great site to look more into rockhounding stonesthatrock.net

Favorite techniques: right-angle weaves, spiral ropes, cheveron chains, and St.Petersburg weave. (I'm always looking for new patterns to learn). I've recently learned how to use cabochons (gemstones cut with and domed surface and flat back) as centerpieces in my jewelry. I love to sew seed beads around the cab in intricate designs. The book that inspired me to learn bead sewing and embellishing is (Beading with cabochons : simple techniques for beautiful jewelry by Jamie Cloud Eakin. I love to look at all the beautiful gems that people find in the earth .My favorite Etsy seller for cabochons is dalerocks09.
Next, I want to learn how to use wire. I want to do wire wrapping around unusual shaped cabs that are harder to bead around symmetrically.

No comments:

Post a Comment